What is Advertising?
Advertising is a business practice that companies pay to place their brand or message in a specific location. Advertising promotes sales as well as builds a brand for companies. As s result, advertising drives more customers in and boost rates of sales.
What is an Advertising Specialist?
An advertising specialist is someone who is responsible for leading an advertising agency. They connect with clients and develop advertising campaigns. Advertising specialists pitch new accounts, manage projects, and communicate ideas to creative teams.
Duties of an Advertising Specialist
- Provide presentations to existing and potential clients
- Communicate between advertising and marketing teams, and clients to manage relationships
- Manage budgets
- Negotiate costs with clients
- Build/manage advertising campaigns
- Analyze and give feedback on campaigns
Common Work Environment
Advertising Specialists typically work in an indoor office environment. It is common to be sitting at a desk for long periods of time in this field. They maintain close relationships with their clients and staff. Typically, advertising specialists work in advertising agencies or in regional/corporate managing office
Becoming a Successful Advertising Specialist:
Step 1: Earn a Bachelor’s Degree
- Although companies hire employees with different types of degrees, a Bachelor in Communications can be useful for this career.
- Typically, undergraduate communication programs can lead to internships, which is a great opportunity to network with advertising and media professionals in real-world setting
Step 2: Gain Experience
- Typically, employees start out with an entry-level position, such as a media/advertising associate or an advertising sales assistant.
- You would then advance on to a mid-level role, such as an advertising manager. Advertising managers know the importance of every department, and how to efficiently communicate with members and clients.
Required Skills of an Advertising Specialist
- Advertising specialists are natural communicators, so it’s important to work efficiently with all departments in order to create a clear, consistent brand message with its clients.
- Advertising specialists are very organized, while managing their time and budgets and at the same time making sure staff members are producing creative and efficient content
The average yearly salary for an advertising specialist was $110,221 in the year of 2019.
Wages typically start from $54,386 and go up to $223,378.
Preparing While Still in College
It is important to start preparing for your future career as early as you can. It can be very useful to find internships and job opportunities that may expand your network and experience in your field of interest.
The rate of employment for all advertising, promotions, and marketing managers is expected to grow 6 percent in our current decade. This rate exceeds the average for all other occupations.
Advertising Specialist positions are highly desirable, with digital advertising becoming more and more efficient.
Sources and links:
OUA. (n.d.). Retrieved September 17, 2020, from https://www.open.edu.au/your-career/retail-consumer-products/advertising-specialist